PRODIGY Field Course
May 9 - May 16, 2022, UBC, U. Vic, U. Concepcion
- Apply and extend the concepts and tools developed in the PRODIGY Ocean Data course for data collection, analysis and visualization in a field-based setting
- Develop hands-on experience building simple sensors and evaluating data quality
- Use simple sensors to measure environmental variables and test hypotheses
- Gain exposure to modern instrumentation used for autonomous ocean data collection
- Learn how ocean data and models are used to support BC aquaculture, seismic risk assessment and First Nations stewardship of marine resources
- Building on the lectures / exercises presented in our virtual class room during term, we will take advantage of the field course to deploy some hands-on activities in ocean data collection, analysis, visualization and application to decision making.
- Focal areas will include marine aquaculture and seismic hazards.
- Students will be involved in planning the field course. They will work in diverse teams, mixing students with different expertise and backgrounds, from UBC, U. Vic and U. Concepcion.
- The Heriot Bay Inn on Quadra Island: 673 Hotel Rd, Heriot Bay, BC V0P 1H0
- Quadra Centre at Hakai Quadra: 1745 Hyacinthe Bay Road