UN Ocean Decade Workshop
To co-design a blueprint that describes priority ocean science* themes and associated potential actions where the Canadian ocean community could make a unique contribution to the Ocean Decade. More specifically, this workshop will aim to achieve the following:
- Build a short list of ocean science priorities, knowledge gaps, and potential actions to support the seven Ocean Decade outcomes;
- Identify potential actions to address cross-cutting themes; and
- Build ambition and amplify engagement with the Canadian ocean community to generate support for the Ocean Decade.
The Ocean Decade began on January 1, 2021 and Canada held its Launch Event on March 3, 2021, which provided an opportunity to share information about the Ocean Decade. Input from participants at the Launch Event outlined initial ideas to frame these efforts, and included feedback on how Canada could contribute leadership in advancing work of the Ocean Decade by leveraging our strengths and experiences. In particular, the principles of inclusivity, collaboration, and co-design were discussed. Additionally, during the March 3, 2021 event, interest was identified in the following areas: collaborative projects in the Arctic, the consideration of and inclusion of Indigenous knowledge, investments in youth and understanding the impacts of climate change.
This workshop is a follow-up from the Canadian Launch Event and aims to co-design a Canadian blueprint for the Ocean Decade that includes ocean science priorities and potential actions.
* In the context of the Ocean Decade ‘ocean science’ considers not only the natural sciences but also social sciences, Indigenous knowledge, technology development, local and experiential knowledge, the humanities, and policy.
Draft Agenda – May 12, 2021
11:00 Welcome and Overview of Workshop
- Welcome and opening prayer
- Overview of purpose of workshop, expected outcome and agenda
11:20 Inspiring Talks – Presentation(s) to provide unique perspectives on the Ocean Decade
11:45 Breakout Groups to identify Canadian Ocean Decade Priorities based on UN Decade Outcomes – Round 1 – co-hosted and participants will choose sessions to participate in as part of registration
13:00 Health Break
13:10 Breakout Group Two
14:25 Recall to Plenary - Set up Day 2
14:30 Adjourn Day 1
Draft Agenda – May 13
11:00 Recap of Day 1; Plans for Day 2
11:10 Inspiring Talks cont’d
11:30 Report out on Breakout Groups Results with key priorities and actions identified including discussion on cross-cutting themes (this section will include a short health break)
14:00 Summary, next steps and general Q&A on the Ocean Decade